THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS BALANCE

Thursday, August 2, 2018





After Will was born I really struggled to find balance & a good routine. It took awhile to learn that there's no such thing as balance. It's all about priorities and making them a priority, because there is no way you can balance it all - and you know what?! We weren't meant to.

I LOVED THIS REMINDER:

God has not intended that we should be able to do everything we would like to do. If there were not more to do than we are individually capable of doing, we wouldn't have to make choices and we would never realize what we value most.
Jeanne Inouye


Free agency & choices are a big part of our earthly life. In the end, our small day to day choices will determine our destiny and the direction we go in life. I've talked about this before, but the choice to agree to go rappelling the day of my accident didn't change my life as much as the small day to day decisions of choosing joy, optimism, faith & being consistent.



I thrive on structure & routine and the first 3 months of Will were anything but that. I never knew when he was sleepy or how long he'd sleep or when he'd wake up or go to bed. I'd get dressed in my workout clothes and would try and sneak out during his sporadic naps to try and move my body. I wish I'd just taken 30 minutes for myself and "me time" to exercise and move my body. I knew the times I needed to pump and so I'd try and get some structure and things done during those 15-20 minutes.

Since April, we've had a really good routine going. I've been using this chart to help me organize my priorities and most important to-do's. There are 4 check boxes and 4 priorities that I want to be sure to do every day -
spiritual, physical, mental & temporal.


For the last 3 months or so Will has been sleeping through the night and is on a pretty consistent sleep schedule and so I started waking up at 6 AM. First I get ready with just the bare minimum & put on my workout clothes. Then by 6:15 I've started reading God's word. Right now I'm studying in the Doctrine & Covenants. I've always loved studying there because it feels so easily applicable to my life.

One of my favorite verses as of late is:

D&C 6:8 Verily I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be unto you; if you desire, you shall be the means of doing much good in this generation.

Verse 33 & 34 also go on to talking about doing good.

As I've tried to be more intentional with my social media lately and what I want my purpose and mission to be there, this verse has helped me clarify my vision. I want to be the means of "doing much good" and #sharegoodness. That is it at the end of the day I want to share goodness and light with others.

Back to my morning routine. By 6:30 AM I'm either out for a mountain board ride or on my ski erg for 30 minutes. When I get back or while I'm on the ski erg, Trevor is off to the gym. Then I'll jump right in and go get Will when he wakes up, make breakfast, pack Trevor's lunch & the order always depends on how long Will sleeps in, but it's typically never past 7:30.



There was another talk I listened to and it talked about what we do shows our kids our priorities more than what we say. We've been all over the place with our family scripture study and life is only going to get busier so we've committed to family scripture study at breakfast. Back in April while we were doing the Whole 30, we got in the routine of having breakfast together and I really liked it. So I figured why not add some scriptures to that time.

David A Bednar also spoke on balance and explained that:  
there is no such thing as balance so don't worry about it.

He related a Chinese acrobat spinning all these plates on a stick to our priorities in life. He talked about how in order to be successful you can't have too many plates. "Somethings are nice, a few things are essential. Make sure that you focus on the things that are essential." He went on to explain that it's impossible for all the plates to spin at the exact same speed, but that we need to pay attention to all the plates so they don't fall off - and so it is with life.

By 7 AM, two of my four check mark priorities are already done. Lately my mental check boxes have been writing. I have so much I'm constantly working on. Between girls camp talks, other speaking engagements, blogging and sharing paraparenting tips, I feel like I'm never caught up. I check the box, as long as I've done a little writing, some days thats just a title or a paragraph, then I can check the box. Finally, my temporal tasks for the day vary based on the day of the week. Monday's are laundry & groceries, Wednesday are bathroom and the other days may have a note next to them of medical bills, leases, organize a closet etc.

With these four daily tasks, I'm able to focus on my priorities. This way I feel more accountable for my days and all the other minutes in the day are devoted to Will. Lately after his first morning nap we'll take Cooper down to the dog hill, which is only shaded in the morning. I'll stretch and work on some physical therapy exercises, while intermittently throwing the ball to Cooper and playing with Will, but mostly he enjoys being outside and is pretty easy to please.






One hour of "me time" is well worth the investment. The last thing I've been doing lately is not dealing with social media until after I've completed my spiritual, physical & mental tasks for the day. It just helps me keep a clear space in my day to focus on my priorities and also reinsures that I look to God before I look to the world. So to simplify everything my morning looks like this:

6:00 AM
Wake up/simple get ready/put on workout clothes
6:15 AM
Scripture study
6:30 AM
Workout
7:00 AM
Make breakfast/Pack lunch/Feed & change Will
7:45 ish
Breakfast & family scripture study

*In case life happens and those days when Will wakes up early or I need an extra half hour of sleep, I do my workout & scripture study time after he goes down for his first nap around 9 AM depending on how early he wakes up because that's just life.





I loved THIS talk that I quoted earlier. It was given in 1993 and I feel as though the world has only gotten busier, pulling our attention and focus in more directions. So I'll end with a few more counsel Jeanne gave in this talk. 

"Do not make the mistake of being drawn off into secondary tasks which will cause the neglect of your eternal assignments...We may not be able to do everything, but He will bless us in our efforts to do those things he asked us to do."






No comments:

Post a Comment