FULL-TIME GRANDPA

Monday, September 3, 2018




 My dad UNofficially retired and has been promoted to full-time Grandpa. We say unofficially because if you know Bryan Fisher, you know he won't just stop working.  
Growing up, I never realized what a demanding job & schedule my dad kept. Regardless of his job, he always made time to coach my soccer team, as well as my siblings, from first to eighth grade with practice multiple days a week at 4:30PM, and multiple games on Saturday mornings, both spring & fall for over 
12 YEARS

During our younger years, my dad would leave long before we'd wake in order to catch a train to the city and be home in time for practice. There's so much you don't realize in those moments of growing up & only when you look back can you see the sacrifices & endless support. 


When I started running in high school he never missed a cross country meet. Endless Saturday's spent watching me run cross-county in the fall & track meets in the winter and spring. He was always there cheering me on. I know I didn't recognize and fully appreciate it in those moments. He even postponed promotions at work, that would require much more travel, until after my sister was done playing soccer. 

He has so selflessly cared, provided & supported our family for over 30 years. There is just too much to put into words, but he always showed his loved through acts of service & showing up and being present in our lives. My dad has provided me countless opportunities to succeed & achieve my goals, but he did not shelter me from working hard. 

From soccer games & cross country meets to physical therapy & adaptive xc skiing, he has always showed up to cheer me on. From cheering me on during a 5k college race to cheering me on in physical therapy as I learned to sit up and balance again, all the way to my first Paralympic National xc ski race. 

There is so much I've learned through my Dad's example and I have numerous stories running around in my mind. I know I need to write them down, but I'm not sure right now is the time. Those will be saved for another posts - lessons I've learned from my Dad. 


Watching my Dad become a Grandpa has been such a sweet experience. With my Dad's travel he would often make arrangements to stop over and visit us for 24-hours and sometimes even less. One time we even drove to the airport to visit him during a 2 hour layover. It so special to see their sweet bond & watch how much my dad loves being a Grandpa. While at Braden's wedding, a couple friends commented on how my dad always seemed to be holding Will & commented on their sweet relationship. 


After my Dad's official last day in his office he & my Mom hopped on a plane and flew out for Labor Day weekend. We went to church, went to breakfast with GG, drove around Pineview Reservoir (since the water was closed), had a picnic, visited two temples, multiple walk, morning workouts, and lots of playing, reading & snuggling. Full-time grandpa status kept him pretty busy, but I did see him rest his eyes a time or two. Here's just a few of the pictures from all our fun & adventures celebrating together. 

  



   






    


  





CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PROMOTION
FULL-TIME GRANDPA



No comments:

Post a Comment