Mammoth Lake: Blonde & Blind

Tuesday, March 17, 2015



First off, to understand this blog title you have to read all the way to the end. Well, it's been a crazy few days, but due to some sleepless nights I've had time to update my blog about my crazy anniversary weekend. Also that first photo is not mine, but I forgot to take a picture of the sign along the street on the way in to Mammoth Lakes that quoted John Muir: "The mountains are calling and I must go." How true it is, I've said it before, but I find nature and the mountains to be some of the most peaceful and healing places. 


Originally, I was scheduled to fly out to Mammoth Lakes, California on March 12 - the official date of my accident three years ago. The initial plan was for a friend to take me to the airport at 5:30 am. But right before I crawled into bed around midnight I got a text message telling me my flight was canceled. The alternate flight would take over 12 hours to get there including a five hour layover - bleh. So after looking up the driving directions, making a few phone calls and texts - I decided to drive. I called my sister, who surprising called me back - that's somewhat normal for a college student though. But turned out she had midterms and no one else was awake to answer my invite to drive out. So I decided I didn't want to wait, my car was already all packed up to head to the airport in 5 hours anyway. 




Honestly, it was one of the best road trips of my life ... and I've been on quite a few. I love road trips with friends but this one was so peaceful, beautiful, and honestly therapeutic. The first four hours were in the dark and so I pulled over at one of the 3 gas stations I passed while driving through Nevada took a mini nap and when I woke up 30 minutes later the sun was just beginning to light the sky. So of course, as I got driving I had to pull over and take this picture.


The majority of the drive I didn't even have cell service so I couldn't make calls, even if I wanted to talk with friends or family. But it ended up being perfect because it gave me time to think, listen to music and enjoy the beautiful scenery - some of my favorite things about running but this time I was doing all of that in a car. It was three years ago in the early morning hours when I went out to go rappelling and ended up pulling an all-nighter rappelling, waiting for medics, getting all of my clothes, harness and shoes cut off, then being boarded up and life-flighted to Las Vegas where I was evaluated, x-rayed, MRI-ed and so on, before going into my 10-hour surgery. Although some of those moments are fuzzy, and I'm sure there is a lot I don't remember, there is still a lot that I do. And there I was three years later pulling another all-nighter driving through the early morning to get to this camp. Perhaps this will become a yearly tradition. But seriously the drive itself was worth it with views like the ones pictured above and below.


Rock formations like this make me think of dinosaurs. I just wanted to jump out and climb all over the rocky terrain.

This was technically a biathlon camp, so it's a combination of Nordic skiing and shooting. Honestly, I haven't done a lot of shooting but if there's Nordic skiing then count me in, especially skiing in a new location. As I was driving into Mammoth Lakes I fell in love with the scenery around me, but that happens to me every time I drive into a small mountain town - I convince myself that I want to live in every one I visit.



Wow, I seriously don't even know where to start. The camp was a majority of veterans who had all ranges of injuries, but each and everyone was so fun to be around and so unique. If I took time to spotlight every one this would be quite the long post. Overall, the weekend was filled with lots of skiing, lots of food and awesome participants and volunteers. Since I made the drive out on my own, my parents didn't want me to be driving back after a long exhausting weekend of skiing on my own. So my friend Haley came out to drive back with me on Sunday. That way I didn't have to make the trek back to Utah, and enjoy the beauty that Mammoth Lake had to offer.





The trip consisted of skiing, skiing and more skiing with breaks for some delicious food. Although the original course we were supposed to ski didn't have enough snow, we still had some pretty incredible views and it was in the 60's and sunny every day. I even got a nice little sunburn. Even with all the skiing we made time for a little play on the gondola and pit stop on the trails during our afternoon ski sessions. My favorite session was the ski to the top of the vista and looking out over the other mountain ranges - and to think that I got to the top without my legs. Pictures never do nature justice and this is just part of the gang. 



Below is where we stayed while at camp - that way we could just wake up in the morning and start skiing. Haha, actually we stayed just a quick 10-15 minutes down the mountain. But we found these igloo caves that were actually giant inside. Other Nordic skiiers came by while I had gone inside and started taking pictures in front of the little igloo, and so every once and awhile I'd poke my head out through the entrance; I wish I could have gotten a copy of their photos.



Alright to finish off this post I'm going to include my favorite story of the weekend. One of the other athletes I met was Carlos. Carlos is visually impaired and almost completely blind. He uses a walking stick to navigate around and had an aid help him navigate his skis on the mountain. It was incredible, we did a mini session skiing with our eyes closed and a guide to tell us if we were going crooked and when we could open our eyes and it was terrifying - so mad props to Carlos for rocking it like a champ. One day he came up to me and told me that his guide told him I looked like, or was, a movie star. And so that is where the joke began and every time he "saw" me he'd make a comment about my movies etc. He even made the kitchen staff at the hotel get my autograph. 

But anyway, I had come out for a cup of hot coca one night and saw Carlos still in the hotel restaurant chatting with the staff, so I went to go say goodnight, and of course we get talking. Since I was in my jammies I thought it was time I got back to my room so I started rolling backward to leave. Suddenly, I bumped into Carlos' toes - and when I say bumped, I guess I mean rolled over. And so I apologized and told him I didn't see his foot there. Haha, wrong thing to say to someone who is visually impaired. And that is where our TV show idea first blossomed. Blonde and Blind. A show that displays all of the hilarious incidents, comments and conversations that those with disabilities face daily.
Then here comes the icing on the cake. Haley & I leave to head back to the room and grab our drinks in the lobby. Carlos again passes us by on his way to the restroom and on his way back out he runs into a girl coming from the hotel pool...and well, I'll just let this video tell the rest. Hope you get a good laugh and keep a look out for the new reality TV show Blonde & Blind.


 












No comments:

Post a Comment