TWENTY-EIGHT

Monday, December 10, 2018

Just like every other day, I woke to leg spasms & clonus. The pain jerking my legs awake, I knew there was no way I could peacefully lay in bed. So I quietly slipped out of bed looking over at my husband & sleeping baby. I offered a quick prayer of gratitude, trying not to get in too deep. Reaching for my walker I tried not to bump into any furniture and doors as I navigated my way to the bathroom. The first thing I did was reach for my medication and water bottle, which I had strategically placed there the night before, knowing the sooner I take my medication, the sooner I can feel a little relief from the pain and intense muscle spasms - my husband compares it to constant charley horse.



This is about how every day starts, but today I am 28. Time is a funny thing, I still remember turning 21 and deciding THAT day that I’d run 21 miles for my birthday. It was one of the most fulfilling &memorable birthdays. Miles filled with reflection, gratitude, phone calls - on my small tiny little Nokia phone which I carried in my SPIBELT (bonus points if you know what that is or sports bra - and I wondered why I would get water damage, from the sweat in my sports bra - haha. The day ending with a teammate sleepover and homemade oreo ice cream. It’s not what you’d imagine a typical 21 year-old would do for her birthday, but it is still my  favorite birthday to this day. I did walk into my first bar to get a free burger, an hour before our first indoor season time trials - haha once again one of my ridiculous decisions of the day.

This year my favorite gift was my new walker. How funny does that sound, at 28 years old my favorite gift was a $250 classy new walker.






Today, as I prepare for a 28k run, maybe it will turn into 28 miles, but I wanted to try and keep a little simpler. Over the past few years I always try to ask friends 3 highlights from their past year and 3 predictions for the upcoming. I’ll have to think about this over my run, but I’ll leave space for that here:
Highlights:
1. Being a mother, watching Will grow & learn. Also when he moved into his own room & started sleeping through the night.
2. My 4th marathon - no music or ear buds, just nature, exercise & gratitude.
3. Pineview lake day with my cute little family - throwing the ball for Cooper in the water, Will sleeping in the hammock and swimming around together.
Predictions:
1. Start figuring out our ACCESSIBLE HOME (to build or renovate and adapt an old home) I've lived in apartments for the last decade when I moved out to college.
2. Some kind of adventure and trip with my family.
3. The most exhausting & fun year yet, watching Will start to walk, talk & learn even more and learning how to chase him down.


Every year past 21 is such a blessing; I was just barely 21 when my accident happened. But as I reflect on who I am today, I realize so much of the growth & strength that I’m so proud of has come from the trials, pains & darkness I faced. And yet this past year has been filled with SO MUCH JOY. My greatest joy has come from being a mother, as I’ve watched and helped my

little baby learn and grow. It truly has been my greatest accomplishment of my 27th year, keeping a mini human alive and helping him thrive.




As I sit here typing my clonus violently shakes my legs, but as I look out the window at the red ridges across the skyline, known as Snow Canyon, in St. George, I look forward to my run with anticipation because I know the moment I get out there I’ll forget my about my ailments and pains. The moment I start moving in nature gratitude takes over and I’m immersed the the beauty of the nature around me. I’ve gone one 3 birthday runs before today in preparation and each day I’ve just been overwhelmed with the   feeling of being alive and enjoying such a beautiful place. My thoughts get lost in the beauty around me and with each stroke and breath I feel gratitude fill my lungs.



This is definitely not what I envisioned 28 looking like, but yesterday as I thought of the many friends, family & mentors who have helped shape my life over the years. I’ve spent a couple days with my parents, who made it possible for me to be down in St. George for my birthday and taken time to reflect on all the love and support they have given me to reach all my goals and dreams. Then I think of my sweetest blessings of my all, my family. My husband Trevor, who is so kind, thoughtful, patient, goofy and loving and our sweet baby boy, who is really becoming more of a boy than a baby - I feel so complete. And of course Cooper, my first dog-child that helped me learn to love again and be still.




This is 28, growing older is a privilege. Reading Option B made me realize that growing old is a privilege, one that not all receive. I am so grateful for each year that I grow older because it means I’m still alive. My body has changed, more wrinkles and stretch marks appear, more aches and pains, but there is more love, more gratitude, more beautiful moments and memories to experience. I know more trails, pains & challenges will be a part of those years ahead, but I’m ALIVE to experience it all and for that I am grateful. If I could summarize my   feelings about 28 it would be: GRATEFUL because


IT'S GREAT TO BE TWENTY-EIGHT!



A little follow up on the 28K. Trevor was able to get a bike and ride with me. We rode through the trails and paths of snow canyon & we're able to get the 28k or 17.3 miles I set out to accomplish. There were definitely easier ways to have gotten my birthday kilometers, like a path with less hills, but it was so fun adventuring and exploring. My parents hiked around with Will & Cooper while we were out and about and it really was the perfect day. We got back cleaned up and headed out for an early birthday dinner.




 


(can you see how exhausted we are from our 28k and birthday adventures)


After we went over to Tuachan, the most beautiful outdoor theatre venue in St. George. For years I've wanted to go and with the Christmas season they had a live nativity, lights & Will's first Santa encounter. It was the perfect birthday week & birthday weekend spent in one of mym favorite places with some of my favorite people.


My little Christmas Elves - HAHAH their faces are just too good.


Will was pretty indifferent to Santa, I think he was just more curious about all the while fluff.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Brittany!
    I just listened to your story on the Peculiar People Podcast! It was so inspiring that I wanted to look you up, and lo and behold it's your birthday!! Also congratulations on doing your 28k, I think that's amazing!! I also love your idea of 3 highlights and 3 predictions! Awesome birthday traditions!! Anyway I just want to say thank you for sharing your story and being an inspiration for so many!! I recently became a new mother, so it was so cool to hear you talk about that in your podcast! Motherhood is amazing! And your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete