Life Lately

Saturday, May 9, 2015


Today was one of those days. One of  those days where my legs yearned to run free and in rhythm with my feet beating against the pavement. I miss it. I've learned that weather is a trigger for me, there are certain temperatures which take me back to particular long runs or canyon adventures. And today's temperature was one of those triggers. I can't put my finger on which run I was having flashbacks of, but my body ached to run free. I can't fully describe the yearning I experience. It's like I remember these runs like they were yesterday, and yet at the same time there are moments where it seems like it's been forever since my legs have been free. I begin to wonder if I remember what that free running feeling is like.

But then those trigger temperatures hit and it's like a slap in the face, I remember. I remember the humid air, the cool spring breeze, my feet rhythmically pounding, my breaths in sync with my beating feet. I remember, and I miss it. These days come quite often, but they always pass. But lately they seem to be more often than not, and I'll be honest it's been really hard.


Life lately has been a bit crazy. Between changing jobs, getting a new roommate/puppy child, going back to physical therapy along with a few medical procedures, and can't forget the Fisher Family Vacation. Lately, there's just been a lot of abnormal activity and change in my life. First off, let me introduce you to my dog child and future service dog, Cooper:


Cooper loves going for rides with me.
Just adding 15 lbs to my workout.

Now, this wont last forever he's supposed to get pretty big. But hopefully by then he can run along side me as I mountain board and ski. I think I need to look into dog boots because I don't want his paws getting cold in the snow. For now though I place him on my board sometimes he rides on the front, but more often than not he will crawl under my bucket seat and tuck himself between my feet. It's the cutest, I love the surprised faces of other people on the trail when they notice there is a dog beneath me.


I had been in the process of researching for the past year and then looking into specific breeders the past few months. But after I found out there was another puppy left from the same breeder my cousin was getting his golden-doodle from, I jumped at the opportunity. It just worked out perfectly and before I knew it 2 weeks later I was bringing home this little poop terd, I mean that in the most endearing way. But seriously guys, is he not the cutest? Life has been an adventure with this little turkey. I can't wait until he's potty trained enough to start coming to church, work, movies and really just about anywhere with me. #paraperks

Cooper always wants to be in the drivers seat. What a crack up.
We found out he hates getting wet so baths aren't his favorite.

Then it was time for the Fisher Family Vacation. We all met up in Cabo for some sunshine, relaxation and family time after Laura finished her Junior Core in the Accounting Program at BYU. Cooper wasn't able to join us because he wasn't old enough, but next time. Growing up going to Florida on spring break I loved it, but also hated it because my family would always just want to relax and read on the beach, which sounded like torture to me - reading for fun, no way! Now I can say I spent a lot of my vacation time reading by the beach and the pool, and you know what it's growing on me. Every morning I still woke up and wanting to go run on the beach, but I'm learning the art of being still. It was always hard for me before my accident and it's a skill I'm learning and working on. The key word there: learning!




So while in Cabo I fell in love with a married man - Navy SEAL, Adam Brown. Seriously though, this book was incredible and I loved every page of it! And this is coming from a girl who has a hard time getting into books. But if you have the time you MUST read the book "Fearless". The book is a beautiful tribute to a man who overcame extreme and numerous challenges to become on of the best Navy SEALS in the U.S. And how his faith in God helped him turn his life around and serve his country, family and friends with character and dignity. Just read it, that's all I have to say.


If any of you know a single, and living, Navy SEAL feel free to set me up because Adam Brown set the bar pretty high. You just have to read the book to understand why.


Oh and I almost forgot I finished my first marathon, in my hand cycle. Definitely not how I pictured my first marathon. I've run 21 birthday miles and did a 23 mile long run before, but never a full marathon. Minus a few tire issues early on it was a fun and adventurous morning. But can I just vent about one topic. What is with everyone running with headphones? I mean I get it, it's fine I use my music and headphones sometimes. But when you're running with hundreds and I don't know thousands of other people it's probably best that you're not blasting your music so loud that you can't hear the people around you. There were a few close calls when we met up with the half marathoners at the end. But I didn't roll anyone over. Anyways other than, it that t'was grand!


On top of that I finished my last course at the University of Utah that I need to take before starting an internship in Child Life. I'm still an Aggie all the way but I needed to be at the U to take these two classes. For those of you who, like me two years ago, don't know what Child Life is I'll briefly explain. Essentially, it's working in the hospital setting with children trying to minimize the psychosocial affects of hospitalization, as well as minimize stressors and misconceptions children often have about health care and the different procedures. I haven't done my internship yet. So fingers crossed that I get the internship because there is only 3 spots in Utah, yikes! If not I'll just keep working until spring semester and apply again. 

After next week life is going to calm down. (Okay now it'd next week and I'm just adding pictures and getting ready to post). I was going to start my Master's Program at the end of the month, but with the new puppy child and just wanting to enjoy summer, I think I will postpone that next step for a few more months maybe even next year. This puppy deal keeps me busy enough, along with physical therapy, mountain boarding, work and just life. School will always be there, but my 24th year of life wont! So that's a wrap, folks. For the most part that's what I've been doing and going to be doing with my life. And since I'm not starting my Master's Program after all I'll have a little more time to explore and play. So I know I've texted, called and talked with a few friends back in the Midwest about this, but you're all officially invited to come visit and stay with me this summer. There is so much to explore here in Utah and I just know you'll love it!

Anyway, Happy May and #worklesswednesday !!
But seriously, look at that face! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brittany, my mom sent me this post and I just had to comment. Thank you for sharing your yearning to run free and all of the amazing adventures you are having. Cooper is the cutest! and CONGRATULATIONS on the marathon!! Also, child life is seriously one of the coolest jobs ever. Good luck with your coursework, you will make such a difference in those young patient's lives. Love, Jessi

    ReplyDelete