The Power of One

Sunday, May 24, 2015

What difference can one life make?

Sometimes we may feel small and insignificant in this giant fast-paced world. But multiple times this weekend I was taught about the influence that one person can have on the lives of those they touch and even those they never met.

First off, I headed up to the Fisher Family property in good 'ole Oxford, Idaho. As I woke up at 6:30 I wondered if it'd be worth the drive up, especially as it started raining, and then pouring, during the drive up. But man, I am grateful I did. First off Oxford was my great-grandparents farm in a small, and when I say small I mean there are two streets in the town small, town over the border in Idaho. I mean we're talking . Literally I missed my turn and before I blinked I was passing the "Come Back" leaving Oxford sign.

Well, I got to visit with some family, go on a mountain board ride only passing one care the entire time. And Cooper got to run around free for awhile and get very, very muddy. On my way out of town I stopped by my Grandpa Fisher's grave. He's been gone over ten years now. As I sat with Cooper by his headstone the air was clean from after the rainstorm, the grass was green and everything felt so peaceful and perfect. The kind of perfect peaceful I only ever felt while running.

Oxford Cemetery at Grandpa Doug Fisher's gravestone


It was then I was thinking of all the family that has come all because of my grandparents and even great-grandparents. There are many family members that Grandpa Fisher never had the opportunity to meet.  In those, I even include myself, I mean it's been over 10 years since his passing and I'm a totally different person and He never got to know this version of me or watch his grandchildren and great-grandchildren develop and grow and celebrate all of our accomplishments and milestones. He left behind a family and a legacy that continues to live on and influence others lives whom he never even had the chance to meet and see what an impact he has made in all of our lives and countless others.

This concept came up again that evening at Coach Reeder's retirement party. He coached Cross Country at Utah State for 35 years, and I was blessed to be there for four of those years, I may not have ran my senior year after my accident, but his impact was still there. At the retirement party many talked about all athletes he coached and lives he influenced during those 35 years of coaching. But also how it doesn't stop there. The ripple effect will continue to influence through all of those he coached. Really it was Coach Reeder's & Donna's retirement party because lets be honest the Utah State Cross Country program will miss Donna's humor, stories and influence just as much. From Coach's pep talks to Donna's care packages. Many of us noted their relationship and all we had learned from their relationship as a couple and how we wanted to achieve the same in our own relationship. They were more than coaches. They taught us lessons and characteristics that we used both off and on the course. 






After visiting my grandpa's  grave and Coach Reeder's Retirement Party the theme was clear for the day: the influence and power of one. Both of these men have influenced so many lives that they will probably never know or see the full effect. The ripple effect I believe it's called.  

I've had many people tell me about friends and strangers and acquaintances they know that told me how my experiences influence them or encourage them during their own difficulties. Just like with my grandpa and Coach, we all will never truly know all of those we have influenced. As individuals we have the power to influence and make a difference for the better or worse. And both of these men were for the better. Sometimes we feel insignificant, that we are only one person, but it's people like my grandpa, Coach Reeder, previous coaches, my own father and many others who remind me of the difference we can make. I can't even begin to list the lessons that I've learned from these different men in my life, but something that Coach Reeder said tonight and focused on in college stuck out again tonight. It was that family comes first, school second, and running third. And I guess with family I would group close friends and teammates that are like family to me, but just how true that motto is! I loved that running wasn't supposed to be our number number one priorities, it was supposed to be a priority in our lives - I loved it and it was a priority - but it wasn't supposed to be our sole purpose. He reminded us that we had more to offer than just how fast we could run. He understood that we had lives, education and relationships and that they were important. 

Utah State Cross Country 2010

Reflecting on yesterday I guess I'm just so grateful for the individuals who influenced me - many of them through the running world of teammates and coaches. Running has brought me some of the very best friendships through the years. Some of my dearest friends in both high school and college were the girls that ran by my side for hours on end.

NCHS Cross County 2007 I think? Spiderman tee, zebra spandex and boom box. Sounds & looks about right.

Maybe all athletes feel this way, but I still think we as runners have something extra special.  With running there seems to be this bond amongst us, maybe it's that we're all little crazy and insane to be running as much as we do - and love it. Like I said before some of my closest friends were the girls that I ran with and I think part of it was our personalities, but another part of it was the hours we spent running beside and supporting on another, even when we didn't love running so much. Even when things outside of our running world weren't going right, we were there to support each other and I think that's what's so special about running. Running gives perspective. When I ran I could see and process all the crap in life, but also all the beauty. I truly think it it was through running that I saw life with more grateful eyes and soaking in all of it's beauty.

Touchdown Jesus at Notre Dame with USU XC 2010
I've talked about this before, but I don't think ever publicly on my blog. It was through running that I found myself. My high school coaches even joked about how when they first met me I barely said two words. It was true, I was actually very shy and introverted,  up until I decided to run a marathon. I started training in the summer with my dad, but mostly by myself. And so when fall came around I thought: I might as well be running with other people, if I'm going to train all of these miles. And so I joined cross country. This was a girl who never ran more than three miles and next thing I knew I was going to practice after school and then going home and running anywhere from 3-8 more miles. During that summer and fall it was through running that I seem to break out of my shell and truly find myself. I found my voice and then it became hard to shut me up! It was through running I found and made friendships that that mean so much to me and have supported me through difficult times. I truly think running friends make some of the best friends but that's alright. 

USU Cross Country Camp 2010? Man I'm terrible with years. 
So if you are ever questioning your significance and importance I can promise you just like the pebble dropped in the lake you have a rippling effect. You make a difference! So shout out to all of my teammates and coaches I've ever run with, or run for. Without a doubt you've influenced me for the better, and I can promise I've spent time during one of my thousands of runs talking to someone else about your impact! 

And one last shout out to one of my best friends and favorite running buddies in high school. Running brought us together but friendship outlasted the running. To my partner in crime who was always up for ridiculous ideas, night running adventures and so much more. I could probably write a short novel on all of the ridiculous adventures we've gone on. You've supported me through the good and the bad. Love you and happy anniversary of birth SHELDON! xoxo
Shelby & I just earning some extra cash on the street corner.

Oh and I forgot to add my current favorite group. They're adorable and married in real life and they're called Us the Duo and their song No Matter Where You Are. Also Joy Williams from the Civil Wars nailed it with her new song, What a Good Woman Does, I think I listened to it 100 times this weekend. Listen up & enjoy. Happy Sunday Homies!






No comments:

Post a Comment