O My Father

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Where to even begin. There's so many directions my mind is racing. Life has been quite busy lately and I've been sleeping less and sleeping in more than I have in awhile. But there's too much to catch up on so I'm just going to focus on my Earthly and Heavenly Father in this post this Father's Day.


In honor of Father's Day I'm including one of my favorite church songs. This video was filmed in one of my favorite locations, Tony's Grove up Logan Canyon. During my four years of college at Utah State I traveled up to Tony's Grove quite a bit. Sometimes for hikes and picnics with friends but I went there much more than anyone knew. I'd drive up and run around Tony's Grove when I needed time to think and process and pray and talk to my Heavenly Father. When I had decisions to make or looking for guidance I'd drive to Tony's grove. And so in honor of Father's day and it being Sunday here's a tune for you to enjoy about our Heavenly Father.
 


My dad and I are a lot more alike than may first meet the eye. I've never met someone more hard-working and dedicated. I first started running long distance with my dad while training for my first marathon. Saturday mornings consisted on bagels and long runs with my dad.


This guy never sleeps in, rarely takes naps - except on hospital benches after a exhausting first few weeks of non-stop worry and travel after my accident and on the living room floor on Sunday's after church. Well, actually that's before he became Bishop Fisher. I don't think he sleeps more than 5 hours a night. And I know I've been the cause of many of those sleepless nights. Sorry Pops. 


My dad has given me every opportunity in the world, especially after my accident. Any goals I had he encouraged me to go for it and believed in me. If it were up to my mom I don't think I'd ever be allowed to leave home after my accident, but my dad made it possible for me to return to school and believed in me, literally EVERY STEP. I cannot even put into words how grateful I am for the push he gives me and the opportunities he's made possible for me to pursue. 


He taught me to love the Bulls and athletics. From coaching soccer for over ten years for all us kids, to supporting us in whatever sport we chose to do in high school, he never missed a race or game. Although, I may not love basketball like the rest of the family he still lets me go to Bulls games with him when it's not too good of a game or no one else in town. 


He can't sit still, not the hyperactive kind, but is just always being productive and efficient. This man is a machine, he never stops. And I love that if he has the time he's always up for an evening walk or 10 minute abs on vacation. He knows how to do everything from building me a ramp to fixing just about anything. 



So shout out to my dad whose taught me more about life and character through his actions rather than his words. He may be a man of few words compared to my mom, but his actions truly speak louder than words. Through his actions he displays many characteristics, but I've chosen these words very carefully because I truly feel these describe my dad:

humble
loving
selfless
strong
 dependable
wise
determined
hard-working



Happy Fathers Day to both my earthly and heavenly father. This is a rough day for those who may not have fathers here on earth or may not have had the best of fathers. Social media doesn't help with all these constant reminders of what you may not have. But I just want to remind anyone out there that may feel this way that you have a Heavenly Father, a God, who loves you more perfectly and is more incredible than all these Facebook, Instagram and blog posts combined. He truly is your number one fan and has supported you through every sports game, concert, trail, heart-ache and triumph you've ever experienced. Just like we inherent and observe earthly traits from out parents we can learn so much about our spiritual traits from our Heavenly Father as we come to know him in scripture study, prayer and church attendance. So for those of you who may not feel they have a reason to celebrate this Fathers Day, remember you have a heavenly father to celebrate and be grateful for. I'll include the lyrics to the song O My Father since the version I included in this post doesn't sing the lyrics, and incase you don't already know the song and also this other video about our Heavenly Father. Enjoy and happy Sunday!




  1. 1. O my Father, thou that dwellest
    In the high and glorious place,
    When shall I regain thy presence
    And again behold thy face?
    In thy holy habitation,
    Did my spirit once reside?
    In my first primeval childhood
    Was I nurtured near thy side?
  2. 2. For a wise and glorious purpose
    Thou hast placed me here on earth
    And withheld the recollection
    Of my former friends and birth;
    Yet ofttimes a secret something
    Whispered, "You're a stranger here,"
    And I felt that I had wandered
    From a more exalted sphere.
  3. 3. I had learned to call thee Father,
    Thru thy Spirit from on high,
    But, until the key of knowledge
    Was restored, I knew not why.
    In the heav'ns are parents single?
    No, the thought makes reason stare!
    Truth is reason; truth eternal
    Tells me I've a mother there.
  4. 4. When I leave this frail existence,
    When I lay this mortal by,
    Father, Mother, may I meet you
    In your royal courts on high?
    Then, at length, when I've completed
    All you sent me forth to do,
    With your mutual approbation
    Let me come and dwell with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment