1,280 DAYS

Saturday, September 12, 2015


There is something magical about fall and running. I don't know what it is, but it's the perfect mixture of crisp autumn air, and the crunching of leaves beneath my feet that creates this magic. This weather seems to heal my soul, while at the same time bringing tears to my eyes and an ache in my chest. I miss it again, running that is. It hurts more than ever during the fall. My legs and body yearn to run free in that magic crisp air. 


Fall is a time were the old passes away leaving room for new life and growth. This fall I'm really trying to let my old life pass away. It was beautiful, filled with tones of golds, amber, and fiery reds and burnt oranges. Just like autumn, my life with running was beautiful. But that time has passed, and I have to allow those leaves to fall in order to make room for new life - my new life in a wheelchair. This year, as fall approaches I'm doing my best to appreciate all the colors of my old life, while at the same time realizing I have to let them fall and let them go, leaving room for new growth. Once again, this is no new concept I wrote about these similar feelings of letting go in my blog entry, Letting Go - I know, real creative title.  

1,280 days, that's how many days have passed since I last ran.

I don't think it's ever going to get any easier because I still miss running every single day. It's still so painful to live without. But I'm continually learning to live with loss and still enjoy the crunching fall leaves and 2 hour canyon adventures. Now that it's been over three years the sting of the cool autumn air still cuts me to the core. It still hurts to look at my legs and remember when they were once free to run without any worries. But this fall as the leaves begin to change and fall, I'm going to do my best to allow that season of my life to pass away, leaving room for new life - my new life. 








1 comment:

  1. You made me cry, dammit. Fall running was always my favorite and you've captured it completely. Love you Brit.

    ReplyDelete