When I Call Myself Disabled

Tuesday, July 16, 2019


Recently there was a campaign on Instagram #WhenICallMyselfDisabled and as I read these other posts they struck a cord within myself and resonated to my core. What a weird world that trends happen through hashtags, which used to be known as the pound key. Haha I think about these kids now growing up and listening to automated messaged and when they ask you to press the pound key and they aren't going to know what to do. But I am so grateful for technology and this online community that helps me feel less alone as a walking and wheeling paraplegic.  

#WhenICallMyselfDisabled I am CLAIMING and OWNING my disability. There is great power and strength when we claim and own our experiences and circumstances. It’s finally accepting myself and by more fully accepting myself, I hope the world can more fully accept and see me.


It’s taken me years to fully accept and love myself in my chair & crutches. But I’m finally done trying to pretend that this disability is going away or getting better or that I am “normal”. This disability is apart of my physical body and will be apart of me for the rest of this life. But I know that I am so much more than just my physical appearance - 
WE ALL ARE.

My disability has brought me through the depths of grief and I’ve come out to the other side refined, with deepened understanding, compassion and strength. I’ve learned that the characteristics that make me who I am have been deepened and refined BECAUSE of my physical disability.


When I call my self disabled, I am accepting all of me inside and out. I’m also acknowledging all that I am ABLE to do despite my disability. It takes hard work, adaptation and creativity, but I’m still CAPABLE of getting out there living life and being seen.

Even though I’m DISABLED I’m still CAPABLE!


My disability may leave me with less physical function, but I have never be MORE - more loving, more compassionate, more brave, more vulnerable, more empowered, more understanding, more connected, more EVERYTHING.


.

#disabled #disability #disabilityawareness #capeABLE #sci #spinalcordinjury #babewithamobilityaide #walkingpraplegicbutstillparaplegic #claimingmyexperience #owningmyexperience #claimingmysci #OWNIT

No comments:

Post a Comment